Proposed Budget Highlights
The recommended budget invests in all Kansans from early childhood to retirement and continues to fund core programs to ensure citizens can access critical services. The budget focuses on growing the economy, improving the state’s long-term fiscal health, and expanding the workforce. The budget makes the following recommendations:
Providing Tax Relief
- Proposes eliminating the state level sales tax on groceries effective April 1, 2023, and the state level sales tax on diapers and feminine hygiene products.
- Proposes a change to the income tax owed on Social Security benefits.
- Creates a four-day sales tax holiday for back-to-school shopping.
Investments in Education and the Workforce
- Fully funds the base aid for student excellence (BASE) and recommends fully funding the K-12 school finance formula for fiscal 2025.
- Recommends a five-year plan to increase funding for special education to the required level of 92 percent of excess costs.
- Directs $107.9 million of enhanced funding to post-secondary education.
- Includes an enhancement of $22.3 million from the State General Fund to four-year universities to mitigate inflationary increases from the past year.
- Recommends $20.0 million to enhance student aid opportunities.
- Calls for $4 million for micro-internships to connect students with Kansas employers during their collegiate career.
- Recommends $8.5 million to implement recommendations of the National Institute of Student Success Academic Playbooks to increase graduation and retention rates.
- Directs $11.5 million for IT and cybersecurity upgrades across the post-secondary system.
- Recommends an incremental $20.0 million to be matched by the universities for the Capital Renewal Initiative.
- Includes $10 million for the demolition of buildings on university campuses.
Expanding Access to Affordable Healthcare
- Provides $21.0 million to expand Medicaid.
- Provides funds for enhancements in waiver reimbursement rates.
- Recommends $4.0 million to support the implementation of a fully automated Pre-Admission Screening and Resident Review system for the Client Assessment, Referral, and Evaluation program.
- Recommends $3.8 million to increase the Targeted Case Management service rates for individuals receiving services on the Home and Community Based Services Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities Waiver program.
- Recommends $17.7 million to increase select HCBS services rates on Brain Injury, Physical Disability, Autism, and Technology Assisted waivers.
- Provides $9.3 million to increase current daily rate for Brain Injury Rehabilitation Facility.
- Recommends transferring $500.0 million to the Budget Stabilization Fund.
- Appropriates $53.0 million to the Kansas Water Office to retire two remaining reservoir debts.
- Recommends $17.2 million from the State Institutions Building Fund to cover the state’s share of the new veteran’s home in northeast Kansas.
- Directs a $20.0 million deposit into the Kanas Housing Resources Corporation.
- Recommends $50.0 million to be transferred to the Office of the Governor’s State Match for Federal Funds in fiscal 2023.
- Directs $220.0 million be transferred to the Office of the Governor’s Infrastructure Leveraging Fund.