NASBO is extremely helpful to state budget and finance officials during gubernatorial transitions. Because the state budget is the defacto statement of the Governor’s policies, transitions to new leadership can sometimes mean shifting gears to different policy and budget priorities. This may also be true if a Governor has been re-elected to a second term. NASBO developed the Gubernatorial Transitions & The State Budget document (link below) to provide transition teams with an overview of four key issues to focus on related to the state budget.
- Understanding the Current Budget Environment
- Choosing the Budget Director & Utilizing Budget Office Staff
- Taking Immediate Control of the Budget
- Learning the Budget Basics
We encourage you to contact us for additional information or with questions.
Scott D. Pattison
Resources for Transition Teams
- Gubernatorial Transitions & The State Budget
- Issue Brief - Federal Update: Key Deadlines and Actions Needed
- Budget Basics Video Series
- NASBO Publications & Data
- States Proposed & Enacted Budgets