NASBO publishes occasional reports on key state fiscal issues and processes, at critical junctures in economic situations and policy development.
Higher Education Finance Report
This National Association of State Budget Officers (NASBO) report, supported by a grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, presents both the current landscape of state higher education finance and opportunities for improving it—from the perspective of state budget officers.
The report, Improving Postsecondary Education Through the Budget Process: Challenges & Opportunities, discusses:
- the challenges associated with the current higher education funding landscape;
- efforts at the state level to fund results/performance, restrict tuition increases, expand access, improve information and increase cost-efficiency; and
- opportunities for state and higher education officials to work together to improve postsecondary education and reduce costs.
State Health Expenditure Report
Analyzes the significance of the growing state health spending in the context of how personal healthcare services are provided.
- State Health Expenditure Report, 2002-2003
- State Health Care Expenditure Report, 2000-2001
- State Health Care Expenditure Report, 1998-1999
Capital Budgeting in the States
- Capital Budgeting in the States—Paths to Success
Comparative analysis of capital budgeting practices with good practices highlighted. (November 1999)
Publications Highlighting Good Practices in State Finance
- Budgeting Amid Fiscal Uncertainty: Ensuring Budget Stability by Focusing on the Long Term
Explores the dynamics surrounding fiscal uncertainty in the states and how states work to avoid it. (February 2004)
- Restructuring and Innovations in State Management
State examples of innovations and recent trends for privatization activities; budgeting and planning processes; and mergers and consolidations of state agencies. (April 1996)
- Workforce Policies: State Activity and Innovations
Detailed inventory of innovations in areas such as civil service reforms, pay plans, training, quality initiatives, work scheduling, diversity in state employment, productivity incentives, and pension and healthcare systems. (March 1995)
- Good Practices in Revenue Estimating
A guide for Governors that includes 10 practices to improve revenue estimates. Focuses on the estimating process and gaining consensus when developing both economic forecasts and revenue estimates. (December 1989)
- Debt Management Practices in the States
Overview of some of the central themes in establishing and/or revising a debt management policy. Topics include debt affordability policies, linking capital planning to debt management, and integrating debt policies with the operating budget. (April 1994)