This National Association of State Budget Officers (NASBO) report, supported by a grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, presents both the current landscape of state higher education finance and opportunities for improving it—from the perspective of state budget officers.
The report, Improving Postsecondary Education Through the Budget Process: Challenges & Opportunities, discusses:
- the challenges associated with the current higher education funding landscape;
- efforts at the state level to fund results/performance, restrict tuition increases, expand access, improve information and increase cost-efficiency; and
- opportunities for state and higher education officials to work together to improve postsecondary education and reduce costs.
- Report Summary
- Full Report
- Press Release
- Issue Brief - Financing Higher Education: The Need for a New Approach - May 2013
- In pose-recession world, U.S. states set markers for college funding (August 15)
- State Budgeters' View of Higher Ed - Inside Higher Ed (March 27)
State Budget Officers Call on States and Colleges to Fix Higher-Ed Finance - The Chronicle of Higher Education (March 27)
Report: Tie State Funding to College Performance - Stateline (March 27)
U.S. state budget officers seek overhaul of university funding - Reuters (March 27)