Scott D. Pattison
On Thursday, December 12, the House voted overwhelmingly (332-94) to approve the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2013.
Access brief summary document and full report.
Reference sheet provides an overview of key dates and an update on the current status of budget negotiations in Washington, DC.
The fall edition details governors’ enacted budgets. With data gathered from all 50 state budget offices, the report provides narrative analysis of the fiscal condition of the states and data summaries of state general fund revenues, expenditures, and balances.
This annual report examines spending in the functional areas of state budgets: elementary and secondary education, higher education, public assistance, Medicaid, corrections, transportation, and all other. It also includes data on the State Children’s Health Insurance Program and on revenue sources in state general funds.
This report details the process behind proposing and enacting a state budget. The report contains 50-state data on the budget cycle, budget requirements, budgeting tools, the budget document, and monitoring the budget. Specific topics covered include whether a state passes a budget annually or biennially, budget timelines, governors’ budget authority, and budget agencies’ organization.
NASBO in the News
- Though Revenue Growth is Slowing, States See More Budget Stability, Report Says (December 10)
- State Fiscal Picture Brightens, but Uncertainty Lingers (December 10)
- States Cut Taxes, Increase Spending as Economy Improves (December 10)
- Recession Still Not Totally in Rearview for States (December 10)
- US states expect tiny revenue increase this fiscal year (December 10)
- NASBO: States Improving but Fiscal Rebuilding Remains Slow (December 10)
- State Spending Dips As Stimulus Money Dries Up (November 21)
- NASBO Reports Total State Spending Fell 1.7% in Fiscal 2012 (November 21)
- U.S. States Likely Spent More in Fiscal 2013 as Revenues Rose (November 22)
- State Spending at Highest Level Since Recession as Revenue Rises (June 13)
- Fiscal Survey of States Shows Fiscal Improvements May Be Temporary (June 13)
- Budgets Rebound but States to Limit Spending (June 13)
- State Budgets are on the Mend (June 13)
- Surpluses Help, but Fiscal Woes for States Go On (May 31)
Fear of U.S. Cuts Grows in States Where Aid Flows (February 22)
- States' Fragile Recovery at Risk (January 23)
- Uncertainty from Washington Continues for States (January 4)
- Fiscal Cliff Deal a Mixed Bag for State, Local Leaders (January 3)
- Beyond the Cliff: Muni Market Breathes Temporary Sigh of Relief (January 3)
- State, local government finances humming again (January 3)